Ensure environmental sustainability
How's Iran doing?
Iran, being an arid/semi-arid country, has been very successful in providing access to safe drinking water and sanitation to its urban and rural population. However, the country has performed weakly in reversing the loss of forests, energy use, CO2 emissions and consumption of ozone-depleting CFCs and all have shown a deteriorating trend. Iran also needs greater efforts in protecting biological biodiversity. Despite these notable progresses towards sustainable development, there are still shortcoming which need to be addressed.
What are the challenges?
- Establishing a comprehensive environmental information system for continuous monitoring of environmental degradation
- Confronting pollutant industries
- Addressing environmental considerations in macro-economic policies
- Internalizing environmental concerns in the development planning model
- Seeking technical advice on biodiversity protection
- Setting energy consumption standards
- Sustainable Management of Land and Water Resources (SMLWR) - Phase II
- Carbon Sequestration Project (CSP) - Phase II
- Conservation of Biodiversity in Central Zagros Landscapes
- Conservation Of Iranian Wetlands Project - Phase II (Scale-up)
- HCFC Phase-out Management Plan for Iran
- Building a Multiple-Use Forest Management Framework to Conserve Biodiversity in the Caspian Hyrcanian Forest Landscape
- Enabling I.R. Iran to Prepare its Third National Communication to UNFCCC
- Institutional Strengthening (IS) - Phase IX
- Strengthening Disaster Risk Reduction in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Conservation of Asiatic cheetah (CACP)- Phase II