This Regional Dialogue on (I)NDCs, held in Tunis, Tunisia, was organised by UNDP, the UNFCCC Secretariat, and the UNDP/UNEP Global Support Programme (GSP) for National Communications and Biennial Update Reports. The dialogue was part of the series of joint UNDP-UNFCCC regional dialogues funded by a number of donors and was hosted by the Government of Tunisia. It brought together government representatives from the Africa region, developed country representatives, and international organizations/experts involved in the (I)NDC process.
The dialogue was attended by over 125 participants, including representatives from 47 African countries, as well as other countries and organizations.
- Take stock of submitted (I)NDCs from the region, related provisions in the Paris Agreement, and implications for national implementation.
- Discuss next steps in preparing for NDC implementation at the national level, including possible guidance and tools.
- Provide a forum for exchanging country experiences and perspectives on preparing (I)NDCs and planning for implementation, including envisioned challenges and support needs.
- Discuss policies, programmes, and projects in the context of NDC implementation.
- Discuss key technical and institutional issues related to NDC implementation (strengthening institutional arrangements, designing implementation plans, developing systems to monitor progress toward NDC goals, mobilizing resources, etc.) in plenary sessions and through smaller breakout sessions.