Global NDC Conference in Berlin
MAY 2 - 6 | Berlin
The Global NDC Conference in Berlin | May 2017
The global NDC Conference in Berlin for 2017 was jointly organized by the GIZ Support Project for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPA), the UNDP Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Programme (on behalf of the “IKI NDC Support Cluster”), and the Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP) in collaboration with the NDC Partnership.
The 3-day Conference brought together more than 250 stakeholders to discuss Integrated Governance, Climate Finance and Transparency. Visit NDC Cluster Conference 2017 for more detailed information and presentations.
Background and Objectives
The adoption of the momentous Paris Agreement mobilized wide political support for climate action internationally, leading to rapid ratification by numerous parties and subsequent early entry into force just before COP22 in Marrakech last year. At the national level, all parties now face the challenge to realize the goals formulated in their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). Furthermore, all countries that ratified the Paris Agreement are required to progressively increase the level of ambition in their NDCs every five years to achieve the objective of keeping global mean temperature rise well below 2°C and pursuing efforts to limit it to 1.5°C.
The Conference will advance the implementation of NDCs and low emission development strategies globally and nationally, by
- sharing emerging practices, especially in the areas of: integrated governance to achieve development and climate mitigation and adaptation goals; financing and transparency;
- identifying gaps and opportunities for support;
- exploring concrete opportunities for countries to progress their NDCs and LEDS through collaboration and linkages to sustainable development and the 2030 Agenda;
- engaging with private sector climate networks to explore needed actions.
The Global NDC Conference 2017 is jointly organized and attended by
- GIZ Support Project for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPA)
- UNDP Low Emission Capacity Building (LECB) Programme
- Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP) and the NDC Partnership
- German Federal Government and German Federal Ministry for the Environment (BMUB)