Sustainable Management of Land and Water Resources (SMLWR) - Phase II
What is the Project About?
The Phase II of Sustainable Management of Land and Water Resources of (SMLWR) Project intend to attain a suitable model for the integrated management of watershed basins in the arid and semi-arid regions of Iran. Also, it envisions enhancing inter-sectoral cooperation and materializing the participatory approach at the local level. The main outcomes of the project in line with the above-mentioned goals are the development of the National Action Plan to be used in other watershed basin managements in the country and to control the land degradation through the improvement of the living standards for the local residents.
The Phase II of SMLWR Project envisions attaining the following 2 major outcomes
Outcome 1: Development of a model for the integrated planning and management of the land and water resources in the watershed in line with the sustainable development of the basin.
Outcome 2: Enhance the management status of land and water resources and control land degradation through the participatory approach at the watershed basin.
What Have We Accomplished So Far?
- Identification of development planning models that lead to sustainable outcomes.
- Stock taking of Hablehroud watershed (pilot site) indicators and their utilization in conventional land use planning model.
- Mobilisation of local communities and governance systems towards participatory and integrated approaches to planning.
- Establishing managerial structures.
- Strengthening inter-sectoral coordination.
- Training and capacity building.
- Disseminating information and conducting public awareness campaigns.
- Improve the condition of public and local decision-making and planning bodies.
- People self- confidence on providing and implementing projects.
- Provide short and midterm job opportunity and stabilize these jobs in long term due to joint projects implementation.
- Success implementation of different projects with people participation and management.
- Controlling the land degradation though participatory processes.
Who Finances It?
|Government (Parallel Funding)
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year
- Preparing a Hablehroud Watershed Land Use Plan.
- Integrated Management Model of watershed in arid and semi-arid regions.
- Preparing a Monitoring and Assessment Plan.
- Increase of knowledge and cooperation of 500 students in managing Hableh Roud land and water resources.
- Women empowerment project and development of entrepreneurship centers in villages of Hableh Roud watershed area (300 women).
- empowerment of 1000 operators in Toroud watershed area for execution of range management and restoring the natural resources.
- Construction of carminative around farms.
- Restoration of qanats and springs, pool construction for water storage and improve irrigation system of farms and gardens.
- Restoration of rangelands through biological activities by rural people.
- Identification of static and dynamic development planning models that lead to sustainable outcomes.
- Inform farmers about integrated management of pests and produce organic products.
- Identification of participatory planning approaches.
- Stock taking of Hablehroud watershed (pilot site) indicators and their utilization in conventional static land use planning model.
- Support to national “watershed-based” planning model initiative (commissioned by High Council).
- Constructed water channel with collaboration of the project and local people of villages.
- Participation of the Project in the Exhibitions.
- Create an extension sample farm and produce extractions from medical plants by independent cooperative of Lazour village and rangelands management and produce high quality honey by rural women of Rameh village.
- Select Rameh women group as premier rural women national cooperative companies.
- Project Start Date:
- May 2012
- Estimated End Date:
- December 2016
- Partner institutions and two Iranian provinces (as pilot sites – Semnan and Tehran)
- Focus Area:
- Combined Poverty-Environment
- Goals 1, 7 and 8
- UNDP Programme Officer:
- Ali Nazaridoust
- Ministry of Jihad Agriculture (Forest, Range and Watershed Organization); Ministry of Interior’s Provincial Governorates
- National Project Director:
- Dr. Parviz Garshasbi