Tuberculosis Prevention in High Burden Areas
What is the Project About?
Started in October 2008 and completed in March 2014, the project aimed to support the priority gaps in the National Tuberculosis (TB) Control Programme by dramatically reducing the burden of TB in the poor and vulnerable populations in line with the MDGs and the Stop TB Partnership targets. Project objectives include enhancing treatment practices, addressing issues related to TB/HIV combination and drug resistant, empowering TB affected people/communities, and enhancing TB control systems and infrastructure.
The Project was implemented in seven high-prevalence provinces of I.R. Iran, where more than 50% of TB cases are identified as well as all the large prisons across the country.
Apart from strengthening the TB control capacity in general, the project targeted the individuals living with TB-HIV, prisoners and patients with multidrug-resistance TB (MDR-TB)
What Have We Accomplished So Far?
- Development of the National Strategic Plan on TB Control 2015-2019.
- Strengthened TB program management capacities, systems and quality assurance.
- Strengthened TB diagnosis infrastructure and facilities.
- Increased treatment success rate (from 83.49 in 2009 to 84.5 in 2013).
- Increased notification rate (from 13.87 in 2010 to 14.51 in 2013).
- Improved TB control program in prisons by strengthening patient identification, isolation and treatment facilities.
- Improved surveillance system (identification, reporting, and recording) in prisons.
- Established 8 sub-national reference laboratories for TB diagnosis.
- End project transition plan developed to ensure sustainability and integration of the project capacities and results.
Who Finances It?
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria: US$ 18.8 million
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year
US$ 18.8 million
- Diagnosis and treatment of new smear positive cases have been improved by establishing/equipping high tech lab facilities.
- Prevention strategies developed to minimize contamination of TB laboratory personnel
- All prisons with population of above 500 inmates are now equipped with isolation rooms and quarantine wards to enhance, diagnosis, prevention and treatment capacities.
- New National Strategic Plan on TB Control developed has been developed and the official approval process started.
- Project Start Date:
- October 2008
- Estimated End Date:
- September 2013
- Geographic Coverage:
- Sistan va Baluchestan,Golestan, Hormozgan, North Khorasan, South Khorasan, Khorasan Razavi and Khuzestan and prisons across Iran
- Focus Area:
- Health and Development
- Project Officer:
- Melina Seyfollahzadeh
- GFATM Country Coordinating Mechanism, Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education, Center for Disease Control, Prisons Organization and the World Health Organization