Conservation of Biodiversity in Central Zagros Landscapes
What is the Project About?
The project aims to establish a new integrated and collaborative conservation system in which all stakeholder groups are fully engaged in planning, implementing and monitoring of resource management planning to ensure the protection and sustainability of use and exploitation of all biodiversity, renewable natural resources and ecological processes.
The main strategy to follow is referred to as “biodiversity conservation mainstreaming”, which means enabling the agencies that govern the main economic or resource use sectors – agriculture, forest, rangelands, water, tourism, energy, infrastructure – to incorporate conservation and ecological sustainability measures into their own policies, programs and sectoral practices; it means not treating biodiversity conservation as though it is somehow a separate “sector” under the sole responsibility of the Department of Environment.
Based on the above strategy, in 2014, Conservation and Sustainable Development Programme for over an area of 3,100,000 hectares of Central Zagros Mountain was developed based on the lessons and achievement of integrated management of four Pilot Management Areas (PMAs). This model includes strategic framework, management system, policies, and tools for mainstreaming biodiversity into national and provincial development plans and strategies, and submitted to High Council of Environment for approval, designation and implementation.
Project closure is by the end of 2016, and project will facilitate establishment and capacity development of full-scale Central Zagros Mountains management system and program, and tries to hand-over to permanent CZM management executive secretariats.
What have We Accomplished So Far?
The project has accomplished a number of baseline-studies, capacity-building, planning and organizational arrangements but the main highlights are as follows:
·Finalization and submission of Central Zagros Mountain Conservation & Sustainable Development (CZM C+SD) Programme to High Council of Environment (HCE) for final approval and designation.
·Initial approval of CZM C+SD Programme by Multi-sectors Council of 6th Iran National Development Plan (IR-NDP), and submitted to IR Parliament for final approval and budget allocation (The proposed budget for establishment of CZM management system is estimated 1364085 Million Rls).
·Establishment of four CZM CMAs (Kor, Bazoft, Vanak-Khersan and Dena), and the management mechanism is operational by:
- Draft and implement the Capacity Development Plan for CZM Management System.
- CZM management toolkit is developed and incorporated into region planning and resources conservation and management. This tool kit is functional by Zagros Mountain Resource Centers in four CZM provinces and includes:
- Integrated CMA Management Guide;
- Sustainable Resource Use (SRU) guidelines which includes Agriculture, Aquaculture, Forest, Rangeland, Tourism, Water, EIA, Solid Waste and Effluent Management;
- CZM and CMAs Land Use Capability;
- CZM and CMAs Management Information System;
- CZM Monitoring Plan including protocols and scorecards, and data is collected and uploaded through CZM Information System.
- CZM BE Grant Scheme is fully operational including design, implementation and resource mobilization. Also six BE Grant projects were launched in 3 provinces and implemented by communities, NGOs and CBOs.
- Activating the CMAs management system;
- Development, implementation and monitoring Integrated C+SD Sub- Programs, in four CZM CMAs.
·Research and preparation of concept paper, plan and strategies for Major Green Initiatives (MGIs) including Sustainable Life of Nomads; Green Village; Green Forestry; Green Rangeland; Green Tourism; Green Agriculture. Also support participatory planning, funding and launch of 4 projects for each M.G.Is (total 32 projects);
- Compilation of comprehensive Profiles for CZM and all 10 CMAs through collaborative processes, and plan for publication and dissemination.
- Empowerment of women has been considered through Handicraft Development in CZM by Sholiz CBO.
- Develop concept and fully operational of ZM RCs in four CZM provinces with collaboration of NGOs and CBOs in the management of centers.
Draft and implementation CZM Communication and Awareness Raising Plan.
Who Finances It
|Global Enviroment Facility (GEF)||US $3,800,000|
|Government of I.R. Iran (Parallel Funding)
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year
UNDP and Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Government of I.R. Iran (Parallel Funding)
- Finalization and submission of Central Zagros Mountain Conservation & Sustainable Development (CZM C+SD) Programme to High Council of Environment (HCE) for final approval and designation.
- Initial approval of CZM C+SD Programme throgh 6th Iran National Development Plan (IR-NDP), and submitted to IR Parliament for final approval and budget allocation.
- Establishment and activation of management mechanism for four CZM CMAs namely Kor, Bazoft, Vanak-Khersan and Dena.
- CZM management toolkit was developed and incorporated into regional planning and resources conservation and management.
- Research and preparation of concept papers, plan and strategies for Major Green Initiatives (MGIs) including Sustainable Life of Nomads; Green Village; Green Forestry; Green Rangeland; Green Tourism; Green Agriculture.
- Draft and implement: a) The Capacity Development Plan for CZM Management System; and b) CZM Communication and Awareness Raising Plan.
- Project Start Date:
- Estimated End Date:
- Geographic Coverage:
- 3.1 Million hectares of Central Zagros Mountains of Charmahal and Baktiari, Fars, Isfahan and Kohgilouyeh and Boyerahmad Provinces western Iran
- Focus Area:
- Energy and Environment
- 5 and 15
- Project Officer:
- Ali Nazaridoust
- Department of Environment
Download this Document
- Conservation of Biodiversity in Central Zagros Landscapes One-Pager