6 Promote gender equality and empower women
How's Iran doing?
In relation to the target of bridging the gender gap in primary, secondary and tertiary education by 2015 the statistics delivered as part of the last MDG report reveals that this goal is attainable. The target seems attainable in the country. However, as documented in the 2013 Human Development report, Iran’s progress in engaging women in top management and decision-making positions, including representation of women in the national parliament, has been slow.
What are the challenges?
- A dire need for involving women more deeply in management and decision-making positions
- The need to create more jobs for the increasingly growing population of educated women.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament