6 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
How's Iran doing?
The data announced by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran concludes that MDG 1 has nearly been met in the Country. This success, which has been registered during the course of the FYDPs, has been due to various factors, such as sustained economic growth, which has naturally led to increases in national income, and reductions in the rate of unemployment, together with the expansion of social security coverage, particularly in the areas of public education, reproductive health and family planning.
What are the Challenges?
In spite of meeting the poverty-related MDG targets and indicators, a percentage of the population still remains below the poverty line and would need to receive government benefits. Major challenges regarding the implementation of poverty reduction policies include:
- Establishment of a system for the identification of low-income household and expanding the coverage of the benefits for vulnerable population against economic fluctuations;
- Addressing problems arising from the disproportionate growth and distribution of the population, increased migration and urbanization, changing population structure and increased share of the youth population;
- Identification and alleviation of undesirable impacts of the implementation of macro policies on the level of poverty and income distribution;
- Alleviation of the impact of the globalization in the labor market and implementation of risk-management mechanisms (both insurances and benefits), and
- Disaster (risk) management, in view of the country’s location in a region exposed to large-scale natural hazards.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG1
- Reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than a dollar a day
- Proportion of population below $1 (PPP) per day
- Poverty gap ratio
- Share of poorest quintile in national consumption
- Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people
- Growth rate of GDP per person employed
- Employment-to-population ratio
- Proportion of employed people living below $1 (PPP) per day
- Proportion of own-account and contributing family workers in total employment
- Reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
- Prevalence of underweight children under-five years of age
- Proportion of population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption